Director – Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie
Johns Hopkins University The Barnstormers
The Barnstormers at Johns Hopkins University are looking to hire a Director for their Fall 2023 production of Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie. The Director will be expected to work closely with student actors and technical designers to foster their creativity, create a positive environment, and build a production that incorporates a student-led vision. We will perform in Arellano Theatre, a 115-seat space on the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus in Baltimore, MD.
There will be three performances over the weekend of November 3-5, 2023. The salary for the Director is $2300 with up to a $500 stipend for travel expenses. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until June 9, 2023.
- Director interviews will be conducted June 12-16 via Zoom; applicants must be available for 30-45 minutes on one of those days.
- We hope to hold auditions September 15-17 and begin rehearsals immediately afterwards.
- The job is located in Baltimore, MD. Housing is not included, but we can assist in finding affordable housing in the area for any out-of-towners.
- A typical rehearsal schedule will be six days a week: generally 3 hours every weeknight (starting between 6 and 7 pm) and a longer rehearsal (usually in the afternoon) on whichever day of the weekend has fewer student conflicts.
- The Barnstormers is completely extracurricular, so every student involved works with us on top of their schoolwork.
Mission of the Barnstormers:
The Johns Hopkins University Barnstormers is an entirely student-run organization that has brought quality theatrical productions to campus and the greater Baltimore community for over one hundred years. At the heart of the group is its dedication to providing creative outlets and learning opportunities to student actors and designers, all of whom participate in theater in addition to other academic and professional pursuits. For one straight play and one musical each year, the Barnstormers hire a professional director to enhance this learning experience for the group’s members through collaboration and a sharing of expertise.
To submit an application, please email the following materials to email@example.com.
- Contact information (email and/or phone number) for two references who would be contacted following an interview
- Cover letter, which should address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in directing this particular show?
- What experience, if any, do you have with amateur (community, collegiate, etc.) theater?
- What conflicts do you have from September 15 to November 3? (Examples include, but are not limited to, scheduled out-of-town days, dates for other productions you may be working on, daytime work schedules, other personal days, and religious obligations.)
Based on these materials, you may be offered an interview with our Executive Board.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the producer, Alexandra Meng, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com