Technical Director/Coordinator of Theatre
Website McDaniel College
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs.
McDaniel College invites applications for a Technical Director/Coordinator of Theatre. Salary for this full-time position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. Visit College website for details.
The Technical Director works closely with professional designers and undergraduate student designers/technicians in a hands-on production environment. The Technical Director is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the technical aspects of Theatre Arts Department facilities including scene shop, costume shop, stages, green room, lighting lab, props storage, dressing rooms and acting studio. The Technical Director coordinates events in Alumni Hall with Conference Services and Arts Manager; oversees and provides technical assistance for said events.
· Construction and painting of the scenery for Theatre Arts productions
· Maintenance of the department’s shops and tools
· General maintenance and cleaning of Theatre Arts Department facilities maintain an adequate and orderly inventory of carpentry & paint supplies, lighting, and sound equipment, ordering as necessary in consultation with supervisor
· Provides technical input to supervisor regarding needed upgrades to equipment. Supervises students, volunteers and contract employees in Theatre Facilities to ensure safe operation of tools and machinery
· Transfer via truck scenery, props, and tools to and from the scene shop, vendor locations and remote storage areas
· Coordinates and assists Theatre Arts Faculty in delivering instruction
· Must perform other duties as assigned.
· Must be able to read and interpret Designer’s drawings
· Create working drawings for construction crews
· B.A. required, M.A. or M.F.A. preferred
· Experience with shop organization and practice
· Special skills in carpentry, scene painting, theatrical lighting, sound operation and welding desirable
· Excellent communication and organizational skills
· Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license with two or less points
· Proficient with CAD either Vectorworks or Autocad
For a complete job description and to apply, please visit the college’s employment webpage. Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references, and a completed job application. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will be open until filled.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status or any other legally protected status. For more information on the college’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, please visit the college’s Campus Diversity & Inclusion web page.
To apply for this job please visit mcdaniel.interviewexchange.com.