Seeking Director/Choreographer for SPRING AWAKENING
The JHU Barnstormers
The Barnstormers at Johns Hopkins University are looking to hire a Director/Choreographer for our Spring 2023 production of SPRING AWAKENING. The Director/Choreographer will be expected to work closely with student actors and technical designers to foster their creativity, create a positive environment, and build a production that incorporates a student-led vision. We will perform in Arellano Theatre, a 115-seat space on the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus in Baltimore, MD.
There will be six performances over two consecutive weekends, April 14-16 and 21-23, 2023. The salary for the Director/Choreographer is $3,500 with up to a $500 stipend for travel expenses. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until September 26, 2022.
For this production, we intend to hire an Intimacy Choreographer, separate from our Director/Choreographer, to ensure safe practices are utilized and prioritized for our students.
In previous musical productions in our performance space, performance tracks were used in lieu of a live pit orchestra. Given the size/composition of the orchestra for SPRING AWAKENING, we would like to explore the possibility of a live orchestra for this production. Conversations on this topic will involve our hired Director/Choreographer; at the moment, no decision has been made. Regardless of the final decision on this, a Music Director will also be hired. We are aiming to conduct the hiring process for the Music Director in mid-December 2022.
- Director interviews will be conducted September 28-30 via Zoom; applicants must be available for 30-45 minutes on one of those days.
- We hope to hold auditions February 10-12, 2023 and begin rehearsals immediately afterwards.
- The job is located in Baltimore, MD. Housing is not included, but we can assist in finding affordable housing in the area for any out-of-towners.
- A typical rehearsal schedule will be six days a week: generally 3 hours every weeknight (starting between 6 and 7 pm) and a longer rehearsal on whichever day of the weekend has fewer student conflicts.
- Rehearsals will not take place during the university-wide Spring Break, from March 18 to 26, 2023.
- The Barnstormers is completely extracurricular, so every student involved works with us on top of their schoolwork.
Mission of the Barnstormers:
The Johns Hopkins University Barnstormers is an entirely student-run organization that has brought quality theatrical productions to campus and the greater Baltimore community for over one hundred years. At the heart of the group is its dedication to providing creative outlets and learning opportunities to student actors and designers, all of whom participate in theater in addition to other academic and professional pursuits. For one straight play and one musical each year, the Barnstormers hire a professional director to enhance this learning experience for the group’s members through collaboration and a sharing of expertise.
To submit an application, please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact information (email and/or phone number) for two references who may be contacted following an interview
- Cover letter, which should address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in directing this particular show?
- What experience, if any, do you have with amateur (community, collegiate, etc.) theater?
- What conflicts do you have from February 10 to April 14, 2023? (Examples include, but are not limited to: scheduled out-of-town days, dates for other productions you may be working on, daytime work schedules, other personal days, and religious obligations.)
Based on these materials, you may be offered an interview with our Executive Board.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the producer, Courtney Carreira, at email@example.com. Thank you!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org