Arts2Work Multimedia Production Apprenticeship program
Website Wide Angle Youth Media
Helping young people use media to communicate, create, and lead.
Job Summary: Wide Angle Youth Media is seeking a candidate for a year-long Arts2Work Multimedia Production Apprenticeship program. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, and is designed to give older youth ages 18-24 a launchpad for a career in the media arts field. The position focuses on video media, including a combination of video pre-production, production, and post-production roles. The position consists of 2000 hours on-the-job training working on video media, from start to finish, for real-world clients. The position also includes 144 hours of related technical instruction and mentoring, to support technical skill growth and professional development. Production work will occur on-location throughout Maryland. This paid training program consists of 40 hours/week, and requires a flexible schedule around client project needs. The position offers a starting annual salary between $27,300-$35,490 depending on professional experience, education and portfolio. Wage increases are scheduled to occur at 500 and 1000 hours of work, contingent on job performance. At the conclusion of the apprenticeship program, the Arts2work staff at the Alliance for Media Arts + Culture will support job placement of the Apprentice in the media/arts industry. Alumni who complete the program are also eligible to advance into other positions at Wide Angle Youth Media.
In addition to a positive organizational culture, our comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
- Benefit Package: including health care and other benefits.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- After meeting eligibility requirements – retirement benefit with up to a 3% match.
- Apple Laptop is provided during the program and on successful completion of the program they are eligible to keep the laptop.
- An emergency fund is available for students, alumni, apprentices, and staff.
- Paid professional development (144 hours per year)
- Receive additional training in topics relevant to WAYM’s values and mission: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s) Vicarious Trauma, Design Thinking, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.. and many more!
- Mileage/Parking Reimbursement.
- Must be between the ages of 18-24.
- Must commit to and complete the 1-year apprenticeship, requiring 2000 hours of on the job training and 144 hours of professional development.
- Work full-time, 40 hours per week.
- Applicants must be available on Mondays for staff meetings.
- Applicants must have a flexible schedule to join our team for video production days based on client schedules. Production days typically occur Tues-Fri, but sometimes also fall on evenings or weekends. WAP works to ensure that production days are communicated at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Must demonstrate skills in key media areas, such as writing, camera operation, lighting for video, audio production, graphic design, editing, client relations, and/or public speaking.
- Must have proof of vaccination and boosters for COVID 19 and must adhere to WAYM’s COVID safety policies, as defined in the WAYM policy handbook.
REPORTS TO: Production Director/Senior Production Manager
The Full-Time Arts2work PRODUCTION APPRENTICE is responsible for assisting the Production team in a variety of media-production roles, including:
- Representing WAYM: By going to networking events or meeting with potential clients.
- Pre-Production: Developing pitches and presenting to clients, writing scripts, drafting interview questions, making storyboards, developing production plans, maintaining equipment, and holding casting auditions.
- Production: Working with cameras, lighting, audio, and other production equipment, as well as working directly with interview subjects and talent.
- Post-Production: Working in Adobe Premiere, organizing footage, editing interviews and b-roll, assembling stories, sourcing music, performing color grading, creating motion graphics, and delivering projects to clients.
- Mentoring: By sharing skills and expertise with younger students in our programs.
- Clear and consistent communications: respond to emails and phone calls within 48 hours and communicate quickly in the event of scheduling problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, staff, talent, and community members.
- Must have internet and phone access to a working cell phone.
- Be on time to all WAYM commitments.
- Be ready and excited to work, learn, and support the WAYM team.
- Must uphold WAYM’s values and work as a team in a professional production environment.
- WAYM prefers applicants who are engaged in media production in school and/or work outside of WAYM.
- Wide Angle prioritizes Baltimore City Resident applications.
- Enthusiasm and passion for engaging others and making change in communities.
- Demonstrate awareness of how to address and navigate systemic power imbalances through anti-racist and anti-oppressive community engagement practices.
HOW TO APPLY
All Wide Angle Youth Media hiring is contingent upon successful state and federal background check clearance. To apply, email your resume, cover letter, references, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and position in the email subject line (ie: John Doe: Multimedia Production Apprentice FT Application). Applications are due no later than January 9, 2022 at 5pm. Interviews for qualified applicants will begin on a rolling basis and final decisions will be announced by the end of January 2022 with a potential start date between in early February 2023.
Once accepted into the position, the candidate will also need to formally apply and complete onboarding paperwork for the Arts2Work Apprenticeship Program. This program is provided by an external partner, the National Alliance for Media, Arts, and Culture, and makes it possible for WAYM to provide over 144 hours of paid training and mentoring to compliment your on-the-job training experience.
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.wideanglemedia.org.