Website Wide Angle Youth Media
Helping young people use media to communicate, create, and lead.
REPORTS TO: Administrative and Operations Manager
STATUS: Part-Time Non-Exempt
START DATE: February 15, 2023
Wide Angle is seeking an exceptional candidate for the Bookkeeper role who serves our work’s mission with numerous daily accounting activities. The primary work focus includes but is not limited to using QuickBooks Online to process invoices (bill entry and check processing), record credit card transactions, and record bank deposits promptly. The Bookkeeper will also help with bank reconciliations, financial reporting, and preparation for the annual audit. This role will be the primary contact during the audit in partnership with the Executive Director. Please note there will be an increase in hours during preparation for the audit and the audit phase itself, and the 990 typically in August and September.
- Support the organization’s accounting policies and procedures.
- Review expense requests, verify the information, and identify discrepancies.
- Code expense transactions to the correct account and class.
- Enter and process expense transactions.
- Verify accurate payment information and print checks.
- Ensure that bank transactions are coded to the correct account and class.
- Electronically file bank statements, expenses, and deposit source documents.
- Reconcile monthly general ledger accounts as assigned by Executive Director.
- File all source documentation electronically, and compile required source documentation for financial reports.
- Support financial reporting and documentation for grants, including federal grants.
- Assist with audit and 990 Report and other reporting for Tax-Exempt organizations annual updates to GuideStar and the Cultural Data Project.
- Regularly correspond and resolve entry questions and assist with documentation requests from Certified Public Accountants and Consultants.
- Process invoices, record payments, grant payments, and fee for service billing and reporting, where appropriate.
- Enter financial transactions into QuickBooks and Network for Good.
Depending on the month’s needs, the position will have a range of hours spent supporting the Operations department, as listed below. This is subject to change due to varied project needs and deadlines.
- Total 40-50 hours a month outside of the Annual Audit
- Hours will increase to 50-60 hours a month during the Annual Audit (typically August and September) due to increased responsibilities
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS – IS THIS JOB RIGHT FOR YOU?
- Have stellar interpersonal skills and enjoy being around young people?
- Thrive in a non-structured environment?
- Demonstrate initiative and community stewardship?
- Good at problem-solving?
- Do you know how to comply with organizational and federal accounting processes?
- Able to prioritize and multitask fluidly?
- Team-oriented, yet self-directed and proactive?
- Aware of systemic imbalances that affect many youth in Baltimore?
- Able to communicate effectively to diverse groups of audiences?
- Committed to improving the lives of young people and Wide Angle’s mission?
- 2+ years of progressive experience in bookkeeping, accounting, and nonprofit operations
- Efficiency operating and maintaining cloud-based accounting and filing systems
- Proven effectiveness in collaboration, systems development, and evaluation of nonprofit operations.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Self-starter and adept at both working independently and collaboratively.
- Flexibility to adjust priorities to meet deadlines, juggle multiple assignments, and work in a dynamic environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for collaborating with or leading staff and external partners.
- Understanding creative youth development is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
All Wide Angle Youth Media hiring is contingent upon successful state and federal background check clearance. To apply, email your resume and cover letter, along with a writing sample, to email@example.com. Include your name and position in the email subject line (ie, Joe Doe: Bookkeeper Application). Interviews for qualified applicants will begin on a rolling basis before the deadline, with January 31, 2023, as the last day to apply, with a potential start date of March 1, 2023.
This part-time hourly position offers a starting salary of $21.30 – $29.82 per hour. In addition to a positive organizational culture, our comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and other benefits
- Free parking
- After meeting eligibility requirements – retirement benefit with up to a 3% match.
- An emergency fund is available for students, alumni, apprentices, and staff.
- Paid professional development (20 hours per year)
- Receive additional training in topics relevant to WAYM’s values and mission: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s) Vicarious Trauma, Design Thinking, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.. and many more!
- Mileage/Parking Reimbursement.
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.wideanglemedia.org.