Website Wide Angle Youth Media
Helping young people use media to communicate, create, and lead.
This is a part-time position and is designed to give high school graduates, current college students, and recent college graduates a launchpad for a career in graphic design. The position includes on-the-job training working on design projects and personal projects from start to finish, including a combination of design ideation, production, and deliverable creation. Design work will occur in-person and virtually throughout the year. This paid training program consists of 12 hours/week and interns aged 18-21 may be eligible for additional summer hours by being placed at Wide Angle through employment partners like YouthWorks for up to (25 hours/week). The hourly pay starts at $13.25-$16.25 depending on education, artist portfolio, and years of professional experience. Wage increases are scheduled to occur at 250, 500, 750, and 1000 hours of work contingent on job performance. During the academic year, interns must also be available from 5:00pm – 7:00pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. Interns only attend two training/working sessions each week. This is a 24-month position. At the conclusion of 24 months, the Intern will either advance to a new role at Wide Angle Youth Media, or staff will work with Interns to pursue placement in other media roles in the area.
REPORTS TO: Design Apprenticeship Specialist
THE PART-TIME DESIGN INTERN is responsible for the following:
- Ideation: Developing pitches and presenting to clients, creating copywriting, drafting questions in support of developing a design solution, making moodboards, and critiquing with the internal team.
- Design Production: Working within the Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Procreate, Figma, and other needed design tools, as well as working directly with clients and talent.
- Deliverables: Organizing design assets for production, editing presentations and finalized design files, assembling and cataloging design, sourcing client needed typography, and handing off designed assets.
- Mentoring: By sharing skills and expertise with younger students in our programs.
Expectations for Applicants: Wide Angle Productions is designed to help take your foundational design skills to the next level. While training and mentoring is an important focus of WAP’s mission, applicants should be able to demonstrate a basic competency in some or all of the tasks listed above.
HOW TO APPLY
All Wide Angle Youth Media hiring is contingent upon successful state and federal background check clearance. To apply, email your resume and cover letter, along with a writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and position in the email subject line (ie: Joe Doe: Design Intern – PT Application). Interviews for qualified applicants will begin on a rolling basis before the deadline, with January 9, 2022, as the last day to apply, with a potential start date of February 9, 2022.
In addition to a positive organizational culture, our comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
- Free parking
- Mileage/Parking Reimbursement
- After meeting eligibility requirements – retirement benefit with up to a 3% match.
- An emergency fund is available for students, alumni, apprentices, and staff.
- Paid professional development through apprenticeship program trainings
- Receive additional training in topics relevant to WAYM’s values and mission: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s) Vicarious Trauma, Design Thinking, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.. and many more!
- Mileage/Parking Reimbursement.
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.wideanglemedia.org.