- Arts Resources
- Maryland Arts Summit
- News and Events
- Contact Us
Maryland Arts Summit
The Virtual Convening will take place on
Thursday, June 3rd & Friday, June 4th, 2021
MCA is proud to offer the Virtual Maryland Arts Summit as a FREE event open to ALL! We hope this event can be a source of inspiration, support, and creativity.
The Maryland Arts Summit will be presented by and for the Maryland arts sector, which includes, but is not limited to:
Arts Advocates, Arts Educators & Teaching Artists, Independent Artists, Arts Organizations, Youth, Community Stakeholders, Arts and Entertainment Districts, County Arts Agencies of Maryland, Public Artists, Boards of Directors, Folklife artists.
The collaborators of the Maryland Arts Summit are committed to making sure all Marylanders can access its programs and services. Attendees with accessibility questions or who require accommodations may fill out the Accessibility Request Form or contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, June 3
Partners, Secretary, Indigenous Artist Performance
Presenter(s): Louis Campbell
Thursday, June 3, 2021 @ 9-9:30AM
FORCE Panel: Reopening with Possibilities
Thursday, June 3 @ 9:40-10:40AM
Racial Justice Accountability
Presenters: Pam Breaux
Thursday, June 3 10:50-11:50 AM
- Participants either:
- Share work from a previously-received creative assignment
- Create artistic work in the moment
2. Breakout of randomized selections, so all disciplines and assignments are mixed.
Thursday, June 3 @ 12:00-12:30 PM
Session 3 over lunch
Elevating Community Exchange: Harriet Tubman Mural
Presenters: Barb Seese, Alpha Genesis, and Michael Rosato
Thursday, June 3 12:40-1:40 PM
- Facilitated Affinity Groups to connect the learning from the day to specific structures (CAAM, TAs, etc.)
Thursday, June 3 1:50-2:50 PM
Friday, June 4
Welcome, Performance 2, Long Conversation
Friday, June 4 @9:30 -10:25AM
Wealth as a Barrier to Arts Programming
Presenters: Jess Solomon
Friday, June 4 @ 10:35-11:35AM
Presenters: Robin Marquis
Friday, June 4 @ 11:45AM -12:45PM
Closing in Affinity Groups over lunch – Next Steps beyond the Summit
Friday, June 4 @ 12:55 – 1:15PM
Closing celebration/remarks, Performance 3 and 4
Friday, June 4 @ 1:20 – 1:40PM
Apply for the Virtual Maryland Arts Scholarship. The stipend for the scholarship is $200.
Statement of Commitment
The Maryland Arts Summit partners have committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the planning and implementation of the Summit. We are aided by the work of the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies, and Americans for the Arts, as they have clarified and shared approaches to uncover cultural bias in the procedures and policies of state arts organizations.
In the spirit of partnership and communal creativity, the Summit is designed to:
- engage organizations and individuals representative of the varying backgrounds and disciplines of the Maryland arts communities
- encourage submissions that do not fall under the suggested topics to yield a greater variety of professional development opportunities
- invite members of the Maryland arts community from all genre backgrounds and cultural practices to participate
- eliminate biases that may be found in any part of the planning and implementation process
- acknowledge positions of privilege while questioning practices, shifting paradigms of status quo arts activities, and taking more risks
- expand deliberations to include criteria beyond current conventions or Western traditions.
We recognize that this is an ongoing effort. We are committed to listening to feedback, both throughout the process and after the Maryland Arts Summit has taken place, to inform subsequent programming.